8 Ways to Improve Battery Life
Lead- acid batteries have become a necessity in today’s society. Our cars, trucks and recreational vehicles all use batteries to start their engines.
Forklifts, electric chairs, and off-grid power systems need lead-acid batteries to operate. Lead-acid batteries can be a hassle to replace and expensive, with some batteries costing up to $5000. To get the most out of your lead-acid batteries, follow these simple procedures.
1. Regularly charge your batteries. Let them fully charge before disconnecting the charger.
2. Especially in cold environments, be sure to keep your batteries charged. If you leave an uncharged battery exposed to freezing temperatures, the battery will freeze and crack.
3. In warm environments, store cars and batteries in cool places or at least away from direct sun exposure.
4. Water batteries regularly if they are the unsealed type. Use distilled water only.
5. Do not equalize or overcharge your batteries as it deteriorates the integrity of the plates.
6. Do not use solid or liquid additives in your batteries.
7. PLEASE, DO NOT empty out the fluid in the battery and replace it with new battery acid. It is very harmful to our environment and it is not effective in the long term.
8. Use a good electronic desulfator that will help to eliminate hard sulfates from the plates.
The life and performance of a battery can be increased be keeping the hard sulfates off the plates.