How Long Do Golf Cart Batteries Last?
Battery operated golf carts are clean, quiet and fun to drive.
But the cost of battery replacement can be painful.
Just like a car, golf cart batteries need to be properly cared for to get maximum battery life.
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your batteries.
- Charge after every use: Golf cart batteries are not like cell phones, they need to be charged after every use, even short drives.
- Water Regularly: Use only distilled water. Be careful not to overfill, battery acid is very harmful and corrosive. The water level should be about 1/4 of an inch above the plates.
- Keep terminals and connections clean: A wire brush or terminal cleaner will do the trick. If the batteries are covered with acid, sprinkle baking soda over the top and wash away with water.
- Use a desulfator to prevent sulfation: Desulfators handle the problem of lead sulfate build-up that causes 80% of batteries to fail prematurely. They will also maintain short charge times and long drive times.
- Store properly: Storage of batteries is crucial. In cool climates , improper storage can cause batteries to crack, making them unusable. In warm climates, sulfation can drastically shorten the life.
Here are some basic tips on storage depending on your climate.
- Winter Storage: The best option is to fully charge and store in warm space.
If stored outside, it’s important to fully charge and disconnect any accessories. Good Practice: Charge the batteries once every month.
- Summer Storage: It is best to store in a cool space.
Check the water levels periodically. Good Practice: Charge the batteries once every month.
How will golf cart batteries last?
There are many factors when estimating how long golf cart batteries last. The quality of the battery, climate, usage, and maintenance all play a huge factor in battery life. The use of a good battery desulfator will greatly improve battery life as well.
Here is a chart with the average life expectancy of golf cart batteries:
|Climate||Premium Quality||Premium Battery
|Low Quality||Low Quality
|Warm Climate||3 to 4 years||5 to 8 years||1 to 2 years||2 to 4 years|
|Cool Climate||4 to 5 years||6 to 10 years||2 to 3 years||3 to 6 years|
Questions? Please give us a call at 727-446-8400.